Monday, July 26, 2010

SKYPE AT 6:00 A.M.

Monday morning, July 26 at 6:00 my s
Skype rings. It is Cuylar. It was late Sunday evening at home, July 25. He called Malcolm at the same time to let us know he was in a terrible accident. He was hit by a car in an intersection while turning through it on his bike. The light was green for both of them. He was back in his flat after a long haul at the hospital. He received a cat scan and they found his clavical to be broken. It is nasty. He also has a laceration on his back which they closed with 27 stitches. He said a fire truck and ambulance came and there were lots of bystanders. Most thought he was dead. He thinks he was conscious the entire time. He knows he could have died the way he was hit. The vehicle's windshield was completely smashed out. His bike is in a 'million' pieces, keep in mind it retails for $10,000. I literally broke out in a sweat as I listened to him tell me the details. I thought of him all day. Who will help him manage, dress, wash his hair, etc? Thanks to everyone who sent notes to lesson my worries. He will need an operation to get the collar bone plated and pinned. This is scheduled for his birthday, Tuesday, July 27.

I had a good scream on the way to class. After the morning lecture we went on to the Hague. There we went to the Mauritshuis Museum which houses the Vermeer masterpieces - 'The Pearl Earring." Our teacher was late and confused as she bought us tickets to Haarlem. I understand this happens, but it set us a half hour later and effected our museum experience. I was disappointed as I did not see the 'Young Vermeer' collection nor Rembrandt's, 'The Anatomy Lesson.' I should have been a naughty student and during the group discussions over our assigned paintings and sneaked off into those salons. OOOOOOh, I will keep it on my list for my return trip or maybe trips. I do like this place.

Most of us selected our paintings today and I will do 'the wedding couple' by Frans Hals, I did not speak early enough for 'The Merry Drinker'. It is alright as it is Frans' technique I wish to talk about, not necessarily a certain painting.

After supper with the other dorm-mates from Sask. I went to my room and did home work research about my painting. I managed to go to bed by 11:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment